Monday, July 19, 2010

sparklines

I decided to download the new Office 2010 over the weekend since we get a great employee discount on the software. I wanted to try out the new visualizations in Excel 2010 to see if there was as big an improvement from 2007 to 2010 as there was from 03 to 07. While the graphics look about the same across versions, I did notice they added sparklines to Excel 2010, so I decided to give them a try.

Below I loaded the number of wins by teams in the Big 12 for the last 3 years and then created a projected win total for this year based on those trends. I added 2 new sparklines to the table to visualize the data. While I doubt that Iowa State will have more wins than Oklahoma, it was pretty interesting to have a small visualization of how the teams have been doing over time and made it easier to understand the trends, which would be more useful if I had a bigger data set. I will continue to play around with the new visualization aspects and let you know what I find. I also downloaded PowerPivot and will see how that works with Excel 2010 as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment